One of a series of booklets written to support plant science in the Primary Curriculum. This topic introduces pupils to the basic parts of a flowering plant, with a range of fun activities to reinforce pupil learning.
This topic introduces pupils to the basic parts of a flowering plant - the root, stem, leaf and flower. It provides a range of activities that include growing plants from seed (inside or outside the classroom), ways of making simple models of a plant and card games that are fun but at the same time reinforce pupil learning and help them to be ready to move on to the next stage.
The 6 'Plants for Primary Pupils' booklets were written in conjunction with the Field Studies Council, and copies were sent out to all UK state primary schools. For extra print copies, please contact the FSC. The booklets can also be downloaded in PDF form from the links on the right. Worksheets are also available online in Word format for editing in your own classroom.
Parts A to F are available as separate pdf files. Some items in Part F are also available as Word files. Download them from the links on the right.
- Front page
- Copyright information and acknowledgements
- Growing seedlings
- Activity 1: Growing seedlings in the classroom (1)
- Activity 2: Growing seedlings in the classroom (2)
- Growing a sugar snap pea
- Games with cards
- Activity 1: Flash cards
- Activity 2: Loop cards (plant part dominoes)
- Activity 3: Snap
- Activity 4: Memory game of matching pairs
- Activity 5: Happy families
- Activity 6: Traditional game of bingo
- Activity 7: Plant splat
- Create a plant
- Building a plant game
- Background information for teachers
- Templates - for card sets, grids (bingo and splat) and plant parts. Templates - for card sets, grids (bingo and splat) are also available as Word documents